> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Intellectual Property > I need to copyright my logo, website name and incorporate the business.

I need to copyright my logo, website name and incorporate the business.

1 Answers. Asked on May 14th, 2016 on Intellectual Property - Florida
More details to this question:
I advice on copyright, incorporating laws for the US. I need to incorporate my company name and copyright the logo and web site. I began a blog and developed a web site, and want to ensure that everything is legally covered. Please contact me as soon as possible, as it is a timely issue until site launch. We are currently expats overseas, so tips on filing are gbreatly appreciated!
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 16th, 2016 at 8:55 AM

You need to decide which state you are going to incorporate your business.  Each state has a Secretary of State website with a Division of Corporations section that will explain what documents you need to complete to incorporate your business.

You would need a trademark registration for your logo and company name.  First you should conduct a trademark search to determine if anyone else is using the marks in the US or where ever you are going to market your products/services.  If your trademark search reveals other people or entities are using the same mark for similar products/services, you need to change the mark.  If your trademark search reveals no one else is using the mark for similar products/services you should proceed to file a trademark application for the trademarks (logo and name).  

If you are marketing your goods/services in interstate commerce then go to the USPTO website and follow the instructions to file a trademark application.  There are videos and manuals available for your use on the website.  If you are marketing your goods/services internationally you need to consider other countries you need to register your trademarks.  This information is also on the USPTO website.

You can obtain a copyright registration for your website through the US Copyright Office.  Go to their website and follow the instructions for registering a work.  

Since you have not provided any details on the product/services and where you will be selling your products/services, it is very difficult to provide more advise.  Best of luck.

Crystal Broughan

Marks Gray, P.A.

Report Abuse
Intellectual Property
The legal system recognizes the rights of people and companies that invent and create unique works, granting them ownership of those tangible and intangible assets through a number of intellectual property laws. Intellection property, or IP, includes patents, trademarks, copyright, trade dress and trade secrets. Intellectual property attorneys work with businesses and individuals (including inventors, writers, composers, artists and designers) to help protect these intellectual assets. IP lawyers and law firms can assist with taking initial steps to protect assets, while also working with clients to license items and to protect assets that are plagiarized, infringed and/or misappropriated.
Have an Intellectual Property Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

322 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

223 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

183 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

74 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums