> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Intellectual Property > I have a published book. The publishing company just closed its doors. I have a contract with them. Can I reprint my book since they are no more?

I have a published book. The publishing company just closed its doors. I have a contract with them. Can I reprint my book since they are no more?

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 24th, 2017 on Intellectual Property - California
More details to this question:
No bankruptcy has been declared that I know. They merely stopped responding. Their website says they are permanently closed. . I am in California. The publishing company was in illinois .
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 26th, 2017 at 10:29 AM

You have a contract, but it sounds like the publisher has breached the contract by failing to perform its obligations under the contract -- specifically, the publishing part.

1. Send a letter to the publisher, documenting everything you've done to get the publisher to perform. Keep a copy, of course.

2. That letter should have a deadline; the publisher will have to get back to you by a certain date, or you will consider them in breach and will get the book published elsewhere.

3. The day after the deadline (assuming, as is likely, that the publisher will not respond), send a letter saying that the lack of response confirms their intent to breach the contract, and that you will begin shopping the book elsewhere. Reserve your right to seek damages.

This answer does not mean I am your lawyer. No attorney-client relationship exists. This response is for general information only.

Report Abuse
Intellectual Property
The legal system recognizes the rights of people and companies that invent and create unique works, granting them ownership of those tangible and intangible assets through a number of intellectual property laws. Intellection property, or IP, includes patents, trademarks, copyright, trade dress and trade secrets. Intellectual property attorneys work with businesses and individuals (including inventors, writers, composers, artists and designers) to help protect these intellectual assets. IP lawyers and law firms can assist with taking initial steps to protect assets, while also working with clients to license items and to protect assets that are plagiarized, infringed and/or misappropriated.
Have an Intellectual Property Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

322 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

223 Answers, 44 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

183 Answers, 25 Legal Topics

Anthony John Van Zwaren, Esq.

Attorney - New Jersey

107 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

74 Answers, 27 Legal Topics

Mr. Max L. Rosenberg

Attorney - Connecticut

69 Answers, 33 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

64 Answers, 9 Legal Topics

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums