> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Intellectual Property > Can an author sue for copyright infringement committed committed in 1976?

Can an author sue for copyright infringement committed committed in 1976?

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 16th, 2017 on Intellectual Property - California
More details to this question:
A film was produced seemingly based on a copyrighted story without even acknowledgement much less permission.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 14th, 2017 at 11:39 AM

Yes, if you have been diligent and did not discover the infringment until now, then under the California Discovery rule, you CAN file now.  More information is required to determine if you meet that criteria.   Your best bet would be to consult with an intellectual property attorney. 

Report Abuse
Intellectual Property
The legal system recognizes the rights of people and companies that invent and create unique works, granting them ownership of those tangible and intangible assets through a number of intellectual property laws. Intellection property, or IP, includes patents, trademarks, copyright, trade dress and trade secrets. Intellectual property attorneys work with businesses and individuals (including inventors, writers, composers, artists and designers) to help protect these intellectual assets. IP lawyers and law firms can assist with taking initial steps to protect assets, while also working with clients to license items and to protect assets that are plagiarized, infringed and/or misappropriated.
Have an Intellectual Property Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Top Contributing Lawyers
Mark Tischhauser, Esq.

Attorney - Florida

329 Answers, 20 Legal Topics

Patrick Johnson

Attorney - Tennessee

242 Answers, 45 Legal Topics

Michael D. Siegel

Attorney - New York

141 Answers, 23 Legal Topics

Michael E. Fiffik

Attorney - Pennsylvania

108 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Lori Nevias

Attorney - New York

83 Answers, 37 Legal Topics

Edward J. Dimon

Attorney - New Jersey

81 Answers, 19 Legal Topics

Bruce Robins

Attorney - New York

77 Answers, 8 Legal Topics

Intellectual Property Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums